Q&A | Alyssa Larson


Photo of Alyssa Larson in a beekeeper suit by Bon Ton Photo

I honestly don't know how this happened, but one day maybe six months ago I decided to follow Alyssa Larson on Instagram. Maybe she followed me and I checked her out? Not exactly sure. She was a perfect stranger but I fell in love with her photos—horses, days on the slopes, fishing, farming, and all the cool outfits that go along for the ride. Cut to a few weeks ago: I land in Montana and after a day hike along the Madison River we sit down for dinner at Stacey's Bar. My host for the weekend, Ben Nobel, the brand manager at Kletterwerks, says his girlfriend "Syl" is on her way over to meet us. So there we are hanging out over beers when all of a sudden the circle gets closed and I find myself saying, "Wait, you're Alyssa Larson, the same Alyssa Larson from my phone!?!?" A small world moment in Big Sky country! Of course Alyssa is even cooler in the flesh (didn't know that was possible)—she's a beekeeper, and agriculturalist, a ski patroller and yoga instructor, and the absolute real deal when it comes to tomboy style.

A few photos from Alyssa Larson's Instagram feed.

If not in Bozeman, I would live in...Chamonix.

My dream vacation would be to...ride with the nomadic Kyrgyz of northeastern Afghanistan and ski in the Wakham.

My current obsessions are...my pinto, organic bee-keeping, skiing, yoga, sustainable agriculture and textiles, farm-to-fashion, perennial gardens, rubies, steer hides, huaraches, espadrilles, parakeets, madras, natural hot springs, industrialized hemp, crop circles, and Bon Ton Photo.

Food
Honey, farm-to-table restaurants, and Indian vegetarian cuisine.

Music: Milo Greene and Willie Nelson.


I channel my childhood self when I...ski.

The fictional character I most relate to is...
Charlotte A. Cavatica.

If I had to be outdoors all day I would...wake to the sound of sandhill cranes and herd the cows on horseback at the ranch concluding in dinner with family and friends on the back porch.

My favorite quality in a man is...
passion, mountain sense and a willingness to dance. (You can tell everything about a man by spending a day with him in the mountains.)

My favorite quality in a woman is...authenticity, intrigue and self-love.

I'm terrified of...b
eing mundane.

My dream car is a...Defender SVX Truck with my American Collie riding shotgun, but I’m also a Chevy girl at heart.

My cocktail of choice is...a
 glass of dry red wine.

My celebrity crush is...Charlton Heston and Keith Malloy. And I think Mélanie Laurent is fabulous.

My beauty product of choice is...s
andalwood essential oil, Juniper Ridge Sierra Summer Pine bar soap, and coconut oil.

My friends and I like to...fly fish.

If I could go back in time for one decade it would be...to the 
Rocky Mountains in the early 1900s.

As a teenager I was totally into...horses, traveling and saving my favorite photos from the Patagonia catalogs.

I tend to splurge on...
pure carbon fiber DPS skis, handmade Carter’s cowboy boots. My Nana taught me to never pinch a penny when it comes to quality.

Grace and grit...is what makes me have Tomboy Style.

0 comments:

Post a Comment